Monday, April 26, 2010

The message is the message

I came across a great new presentation tool recently and used it to create a talk on Cybersecurity for the Greater Baltimore Council last week.  The tool, called Prezi, gives you a single infinite canvas to write on, and then lets you create interesting presentations by moving around and zooming in and out of the scene.  You may be surprised at how effective this is for dynamic messaging. 

I've never accepted the adage by Marshall McLuhan that "the medium is the message".  It seems to my engineering mind that taken literally this cliche would mean there would be only a few different messages possible, one for each different "medium".  If not to be taken literally, then it falls into the broad liberal arts category of "it means what we mean it to mean when we say it, and is not subject to direct analysis".

Having done a presentation in a new medium now, I'm sticking to my original belief: the message is still the message.  However, this new tool sure does help to make the telling more effective.  I've made the presentation public so you can check it out too.  Click here to view it in your browser.

1 comment: